Monday, February 15, 2016

Black Hole.

April last year, and my son and daughter are staying with me. What is of special significance is that it is my son’s birthday. He NEVER stays with me on his birthday so this is a big thing. Fuss is made. My mother, brothers, sister and I make a big deal of it.

And it’s great. But I’ve something more up my sleeve.

The Black Hole was the first film I ever saw at the cinema. I was taken there for my birthday. It was bloody amazing. It was in space and everything. There were robots. And a gravitational anomaly. It was superb.

I explain this to my son, and that I’ve bought the DVD of the film so we can watch it together, what with it also being his birthday. I think that this will be a significant father-son bonding moment he will always remember. Favourite Daughter has a pre-teenage ‘thing’ of disappearing to her room and not emerging until she’s hungry or thinks something may be happening without her. So we have the living-room to ourselves.

He glances at the front of the hard-to-find DVD case and methodically examines the back of it. He then hands it back to me.

Favourite Son: Nah. You’re ok.

I'm devastated.

Some weeks later I recited this story to my Mother as a tragi-comic tale.


She explained to me that I must have imaged the whole thing and that no member of my family ever took me to the cinema to see that film.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Mum took me to see Carry on Dick for my 10th B-Day. I sense a theme.

Ann Anon

11:29 am  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

Hi again Ann, whoever you are.

And I've genuinely no idea what you mean.

5:50 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Go to newer posts

.............