Friday, November 17, 2017

Small Moments

Nine years ago, and I am meeting my son and daughter of a Saturday morning.

I have not dealt with my recent break-up with their mother very well and I'm late. I'm also visibly hung-over, disorientated and have travelled twenty miles from the awful shared-house that I have had to move in to.

We all meet at neutral territory not far from their new house.

My two year-old son looks me up-and-down.

Son: [Puzzled] Where’s your ship?

I stare at him bleary-eyed, my tongue and fingers feeling too large, my face burning.

Son: [Unsatisfied with my silence] Mummy said you’d finally got your ship together.

His face is the blank, puzzled innocent canvass of a child.

Me: [After hugging my son longer than necessary] Let’s go and have some fun.

It’s the small moments that stick.

8 Comments:

Blogger BDM said...

If I could make a heart here, I would. Just a heart. Loving it. My real name is Brenda as per query after my last comment.

4:12 am  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

Oh hello Brenda. And thank you.

12:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Tired - I notice you're off Twitter? Or have I just lost sight of you? Whatever it is, I hope it's nothing too grim. I'm sorry not to get to read your dispatches, but the whole thing is pretty crap.

take care,
Jenertia

3:20 am  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

Hello Jenertia. I'm still there and nothing has changed so not really sure what you mean.

10:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup; there you are. No idea how I lost you earlier. Most likely a typo whilst searching, or my early onset dementia acting up.

-Jenertia, chastened

2:42 am  
Blogger Grace said...

Bring back Tired Dad ����

1:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting for me, I'm sure this will be interesting for you.

1:28 pm  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

Grace: Hi. We'll see.

Anon: Fuck off.

5:14 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Go to newer posts

.............