Friday, January 02, 2015

An Odd Encounter With A Person Of No Fixed Abode.



I’ve finished work and am waiting for a bus.

Whilst waiting, I smile at the memory of an earlier conversation with one of my colleagues – a man almost half my age from Essex who fancied himself a Cockney (God knows how he found himself in the North of England – I believe a young lady was involved) – who had that day been educating me as to the phenomenon of being “Tobied RIGHT off”.

A “Toby” being a “Toby Jug” which is, of course, a “mug” – someone who has been taken for a fool or is not worthy of proper attention. If someone “Tobies-you off” they are fobbing you off - giving you the brush-off. They are treating you as a fool, unworthy of their time.

Such chatter is unusual in my neck of the woods and he’s amused me. Some weeks later we go our separate ways I am genuinely sorry to see the back of him, despite initially despising the cocky young buffoon.

Checking my watch I see my bus is due and begin to gather myself, noticing a homeless gentleman approaching. I sigh inwardly. I have about my person a bus-pass, no money and no valid life-advice.

He approaches me - straggly of hair and brandishing a dog on an actual bit of string.

Homeless Gentleman: I’m sorry to bother you sir, and I wouldn’t normally ask but could you spare…”

He pauses mid-sentence and looks me up-and-down.

HG: Do you know what? [contemptuously flicks his fingers at me] FUCK OFF.

The Homeless Gentleman swivels on his heel and strides-off with his chin in the air exuding an air of superiority.

My eyes and mouth are wide-open. I look down at myself. I’m wearing an ok suit and good shoes. I look around me. All nearby avert my gaze. I look after the Homeless Gentleman, striding-away like he has better things to do. I briefly consider chasing-after him and dragging him to a cash-machine.

I have just been MUGGED-RIGHT-OFF by a TRAMP!

My bus rattles-by and I miss it, so astounded am I by recent events. A person needs to take a good hard look in the mirror when even a gentleman who has NOWHERE to live, has NO FIXED INCOME and no means by which to WASH or do any of the things that HAVING A HOUSE usually involve will look you up-and-down and think:

“Nah. He’s beneath me. I wouldn’t even lower myself.”

I inform my young Pretend-Cockney Colleague of this incident the next day.

PCC: AAAaaaaah! You were Tobied-RIGHT off by a BEGGAR!! HOW BAD IS THAT!!!

 It amuses him to the extent that he attempts to fist-bump me. I’ve no idea what he is doing and we stare at each other, him with his fist awkwardly held in mid-air.

5 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

Must have been the look in your eyes.

8:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah!

...heh. The sheer effrontery. Damn his eyes.

-Jenertia

3:50 am  
Blogger Furtheron said...

I think the attempted fist bump much more disconcerting frankly... this is England, we watch football, rugby and cricket, we listen to music with structure and we DO NOT fist bump ... tell him to emigrate to the USA before UKIP get in and he fails their new Britishness test instantly

1:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you then x

7:26 am  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

Z: Oddly I've often been accused of having unnaturally beady-eyes. But really...

Jenertia: I KNOW.

Furtheron: That has actually made me laugh quite a lot. You are, of course, totally correct.

Kate: Indeed. And to you...

6:17 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Go to newer posts

.............