Monday, October 24, 2011

What Have I Been Doing?

I’ve been a bit quiet, and have been pestered about it by about two whole people which leads me to believe that, by extension, a total of six people in the whole world may also be interested.

And so, in short – although to be elaborated on – I have been doing these things:

• Attended stag-do of First Brother.
• My Excellent Children stay with me for very nearly a week
• Attend wedding of First Brother, with Excellent Children.
• Realise that my father, with whom I have had zero contact for 25 years is also attending said wedding. Something I should have worked out.
• As Excellent Children are present for the event, introduce not only myself but his Grandchildren to my father. Discover that he was unaware of their existence. Awkward.
• Later, much confrontation is involved. Not only with my father, but the aunts I had forgotten had existed who poke my face and infer that I am not a pleasant person.
• Return Excellent Children to their mother. This necessitates a fifteen-hour, 800-mile round-trip courtesy of our nation’s woeful rail network. Feel a bit tired. And sad.
• Worked ten consecutive 15-hour days. Felt a bit more tired.
• Attended stag-do of Second Brother. He’s getting married the same month, purely to piss me off.
• Suffer fit and brief spell of unconsciousness in the middle of a working day. Taken to hospital.
• Excellent Children come to stay for a few more days.
• Attend wedding of Second Brother, feel a bit aggrieved by the ‘usher’ duties he has thrown my way to make me feel better about the fact that I have failed in my own life at anything that has been important to me, and also the ‘reading’ I have to give at the church for the same reason.
• Excellent Children leave. Feel sad.
• Receive an email from my new MD informing me that if I want to apply for voluntary redundancy then he is ‘all ears’.
• Receive letter instructing me to attend an ‘epilepsy clinic’. The inference seeming to be that I now have epilepsy.
• Realise I have no annual leave left, and will probably not see my Excellent Children until 2012.

Basically, everything has been superb.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Braggart. (Life, hey? Sigh. Gorgeous writing as per usual, just wish you hadn't had to work so hard for the inspiration.)

3:25 am  
Blogger Trashsparkle said...

Did wonder too (person no. 7).

Ooooohh - tricky re brother no.1 wedding scenario.

Bugger about the lack of holiday, seeing children, huge train journeys.

Even more bugger about the fit... stress-induced???

7:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes... I also wondered whether the fifteen hour days are related to the later post. And seeing as they're trying to get rid of people, perhaps they could carve out a week or two of extra leave on compassionate grounds?

9:43 am  
Blogger Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

You poor bastard. It's not often that anyone on the CyberInternetThingy manages to wring a modicum of sypathy from me, but you've managed it.
Real pisser about work, family, MD, fits, family and kids.
Not a lot left to be said really.

Have you tried alcohol?
I belive it works in many ases.
Worked for me.


Who are you?

10:25 am  
Blogger Z said...

Right. If you don't want to apply for redundancy, they'll have real difficulty landing it on you, because you can claim they're only doing it to get rid of you because you're epileptic. You'd be able to sue.

Sorry about the shit and all that, really. Still, at least you've broken the ice with your father, won't have to do that again. If he didn't try to contact you either, you've nothing to feel iffy about. It was his responsibility, you were very young when you lost contact.

8:35 pm  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

kate: Really not showing-off. But thanks.

trash: Thanks. Yes, there's a rumour stress may be a trigger.

TSB: Not sure I'm understanding your question.

Z: Hey. Thanks. As it happens most everyone shares the same opinion but I still don't feel any better about the whole thing. Whevs.

8:42 pm  
Blogger InvisibleWoman said...

Cheer up, soon be Christmas.

8:45 pm  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

Oh, don't fucking remind me.

9:08 pm  
Anonymous Em said...

Well, I've missed you.

11:16 pm  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

Em: Aw, shucks.

7:33 pm  
Anonymous Two sandwiches said...

Can't think of anything clever to say, but please, look after yourself, because I depend on regular doses of TD to help keep a modicum of perspective in this crazy life. Alcohol definitely to be avoided with seizures, epileptic or non-epileptic.

8:29 am  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

Two: Oh don't worry, this isn't the place for people saying clever things, including myself. And thanks for the advice.

6:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blimus, Boi.

Ann Anon
x

11:44 pm  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

Ann: Eh?

6:34 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Go to newer posts

.............