Thursday, November 11, 2010

My Tuppence-Worth On The 'Twitter Joke Trail'

Normal people will be unaware that Twitter has been ablaze all day long with chat regarding the trial of some bloke who made a joke on the social network site or whatever we're calling it this week.

It does seem a bit harsh to put him on trial (I can't remember his name and can't be bothered to look it up - google it) but it really wasn't a very good joke.

The consensus seems to be that people shouldn't be arrested and charged for making jokes on the internet - even not very good ones.

His 'joke' was in fact a threat to blow-up a UK airport. A joke he made on the internet. On what is pretty much an open forum. Probably not a very bright move. He should be grateful he's not being waterboarded in some third-world hellhole as we speak.

The questions raised seem to be:

"Should a person stay away from the internet if they want to joke about stuff, no matter how dubious the subject?"

Answer - no, probably not.

and

"Should a person stay away from the internet if they are THICK AS SHIT"

Answer - yes. In fact they should stay away from most everything. In an ideal world.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mr Farty said...

Blimey, I just came off the Twitter to get away from the barrage of #twitterjoketrial tweets, and what do I find? Good point, though.

8:36 pm  
Blogger The Purple Ropes That Bind Me said...

The best thing I have seen about this trial all day, am sick to death of reading about this fool who really should have known better. You've made my day :-)

8:49 pm  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

Farty: Apologies.

Tut: Hello. And thanks - I was starting to think it was only me thinking it.

9:07 pm  
Blogger The Purple Ropes That Bind Me said...

Hello - oh dear God Twitter is full of "comedians" making the same tweet. When will it stop? You have the power - please tell them to stop :-)

2:40 pm  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

Tut: Yeah there's a lot of 'I am Spartacus' stuff going on. Oh well. The result being that you wondered why you ever thought these terribly self-involved people amusing in the first place. And I have no power at all. I just write a silly blog as I have literally nothing better to do with my time.

7:53 pm  
Anonymous Em said...

I don't get twitter at all. I thought it was for really thick people.

10:36 pm  
Anonymous Em said...

I've just realised that came out wrong. Never mind.

9:52 pm  
Blogger Tired Dad said...

No, I think that came out fine.

10:06 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Go to newer posts

.............